Car Scrappage Scheme comes to an end

Recycling Lives participation in a Government scheme to rejuvenate the struggling car market in the recent economic recession has come to an end.

Recycling Lives, a fully licensed authorised Treatment Facility, joined the Government Scrappage Scheme back in June through the adjoining Cartakeback scheme.

Recycling Lives was authorised to collect thousands of scrap cars from new car dealerships before scrapping them and stripping the better cars for parts.

The aim of the Government Scrappage Scheme was to reduce the amount of older vehicles on the road and replace them with more environmentally friendly, newer cars.

The scheme was open to anyone who had owned a car, 10-years-old or older, for more than 12 months.

As long as the vehicle was taxed and had an MOT, motorists were able to trade in their vehicles for scrapping and qualify for a £2,000 reduction towards a new car.

The money to pay for this scheme came partly from the government and partly from new car dealerships.

Recycling Lives Sales Manager Mark Simpson exclusively secured contracts with all four Chorley Nissan Sites and all three Honda Sites, which enabled us to process a massive 2944 cars.

At the height of the scheme we were collecting around 50 cars a day.

Around 70 per cent of those cars were scrapped at the Recycling Lives Red Scar Site, while the other 30 per cent were taken to our Autobreakers Kent Street site where they were stripped for parts.

Without the Scrappage Scheme the majority of the cars that have been processed would have been sold at second hand car auctions across the country.

Chris Wylie, Sales Manager at Autobreakers said: “The Scrappage Scheme has been good for Recycling Lives as it has brought in a considerable amount of scrap metal. However the price of second hand car parts has dropped dramatically as the more difficult to find parts are now in better circulation.

“The second hand car market has also increased dramatically, as there is less second hand cars on the market.

“Surprisingly we received a number of classic and popular cars during the scheme including a 1979 MGB Midget.”

To mark the end of the Scheme, the BBC’s popular topical week-night show, The One Show, visited Recycling Lives to see the scrappage process in action.

Presenter Dominic Littlewood caused a flurry of excitement when he arrived at the Recycling Red Scar site to speak to Recycling Lives Operational Director Alasdair Jackson on the successfulness of the Scheme.

The five minute feature which is due to be aired on Monday, May 10 will also feature a used car salesman and an Environmental Researcher from Lancaster University.