Q: What are the battery
The battery disposal regulations outline a set of requirements from battery producers:
- All battery producers are responsible for the collection, treatment, recycling and disposal of portable batteries.
- Appropriate labelling must be used for batteries containing certain amount of mercury of cadmium
- All batteries must be labelled with the crossed out wheeled bin
- Restrictions must be adhered to on use of mercury and cadmium in new batteries
- Design standards must be adhered to for new appliances that contain batteries.
And if you want the legal answer… The Waste Battery and Accumulator Regulations came into force in May 2009. They implement the provisions made for waste batteries in the EU Directive 2006/66/EC and supplement the Batteries and Accumulators (Placing on the Market) Regulations 2008