At the forefront of the scrap metal recycling industry, Recycling Lives have achieved the Queen’s Award for Sustainable Development three times and are committed to providing an outstanding service with world-class facilities. Our commercial services support our social welfare charity, which helps vulnerable people to work their way back to independent living.
As an industry leader, we pride ourselves on the quality of service, efficiency and innovation at the heart of all our departments. We aim to deliver innovative solutions and big savings to our customers while maintaining our community focus and family business feel.
Due to an impressive growth over the last 12 months, we are looking for an experienced Plant Operative who can operate a 360 excavator (with Grab Attachment) to work across all our sites, mainly in the North West.
Plant/ Crane Operator (360 Excavator with Grab Attachment)
To operate a 360 excavator with grab attachment at our dedicated metal buying and ELV depollution sites. You will work mainly at our Preston sites but provide cover for annual leave on other sites where required. Must be hardworking, reliable, flexible and trustworthy. The ideal candidate will be a highly skilled grab operator with experience of material handling. You must be able to comply with our environmental permit and exemptions and have a commitment to health and safety.
Duties and responsibilities
- Operate plant and equipment that you have had formal training for by the company or hold a current nationally recognised licence for
- Follow Safe Systems of Work at all times
- To work within and to adopt all H+S procedures that are in force at all the companies’ depots
- To liaise with the Site Manager/ Regional Manager on a daily basis to determine workloads for the day
- To inform management immediately of any defects that may cause any item of equipment to be either unsafe or unroadworthy
- To keep the yard clean and tidy and free from hazards
- Monitor all stock levels and keep the stock in an organised manner
- Supervise the regular daily checks required on the equipment and carry out the regular maintenance procedures to ensure the efficient operation of the equipment e.g. greasing, minor adjustments etc
- To complete satisfactorily all paperwork as required and handed into the relevant office e.g. Plant Check Sheets to Site Manager
- To inform management immediately of any changes to your operators/ plant licences
- Any other duty as directed by Site Manager / Operations Director
The ideal candidate will have the following attributes: -
- Experience of operating a long reach 360 material handler with 5 tine grab
- Scrap metal knowledge (grading, buying and sorting ferrous & non-ferrous metals)
- Experience of removing engines and handling ELVs with a grab preferable
- Good customer service skills
- Commitment to health and Safety
- An ability to work under pressure, solve problems and provide a consistently positive contribution to the team.
- Willing to travel and work at other sites (pool vehicle provided with a fuel allowance as well as hotel if needed)
- You will also: ensure high standards of delivery and customer service; be determined, resilient and flexible; demonstrate a positive attitude and come up with ideas that add value
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.