About Recycling Lives:
We’re a triple Queen’s Award-winning commercial recycler with over forty years’ experience in the recycling and waste management industry. Our commercial services support our social welfare charity, which helps vulnerable people to work their way back to independent living.
As an industry leader, we pride ourselves on the quality service, efficiency and innovation at the heart of all our departments. We aim to deliver innovative solutions and big savings to our customers while maintaining our community focus and family business feel. Within our recycling plant at Longridge Road, Preston, we have a new opportunity for operatives to run and maintain some of our high-tech recycling equipment.
About the role:
Our metal recycling operations use cutting-edge technology. Our online fragmentiser is a vital part of our recycling infrastructure, and as our company grows, we’re running the machine for longer hours. Keeping the machine clear of debris is a vital part of operating safely and ensuring high standards of equipment maintenance, and the longer running hours mean that we now need to recruit dedicated housekeeping staff to keep the area around the machine clean and free of debris and maintain our high standards.
The Fragmentiser Housekeeping Operative will work as a two-person team using plant equipment (counter-balance forklift truck with bins and brush attachments, Bobcat mini-excavator) to collect and remove scrap metal and other debris that may have built up around the fragmentiser during normal operation. There will also be a requirement for manual work, including use of brushes and shovels as required.
- Working for the Fragmentiser Supervisor, and in support of the Fragmentiser maintenance team, to keep the area around the fragmentiser clean and free of scrap metal and other debris.
- Support to machine maintenance: including spotting faults and supporting our engineering team with more complex maintenance tasks.
- Undertake regular daily checks on forklift truck, bobcat and other plant equipment before use.
- Carry out other housekeeping tasks around the plant as directed.
For the right person, there are opportunities to progress. We will provide cherry picker and other plant training after a successful probation period. Longer-term, we’re a growing business, with opportunities in operations and engineering available to the right people.
- Experience/competence operating a counter-balance FLT and/or Bobcat mini-digger.
- Ability/experience operating and maintaining machinery – it will help if you have some interest or experience in engineering, as a mechanic, fitter or working with machinery.
- Prepared to work hard – many of our people are rebuilding their lives and they are totally committed to doing it – you’ll need to match their effort levels.
- Fit and able to undertake a physically demanding role.
- Safety conscious and willing to adhere to our safety standards – protecting yourself and others. (PPE will be provided).
- Willing to get stuck in and get your hands dirty!
- You will also: ensure high standards of delivery and customer service; be determined, resilient and flexible; demonstrate a positive attitude and come up with ideas that add value.
To apply: If this sounds like the role and company that you could see yourself flourishing in and are interested in making not just an environmental difference, but also one to the community, please apply by CV and cover letter to
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age